"I'm a mother, I'm a lover, a chef, a referee. I'm a doctor, and a chauffeur seven days a week. I ain't asking for a medal, yeah I know you work too. I'd just like a little credit where credit is due. It's the hardest gig I've ever known. I work my fingers to the bone. Yeah the dishes and the diapers never stop. Lousy pay, there ain't no 401K. I know this may come as a shock, but this here's a full time job!"--Full Time Job sung by Gretchen Wilson

Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy Memorial Day!

Today is Memorial Day, but in our house, it has been FAMILY day.  We have had an absolutely wonderful day playing together as a family.  First, we all slept in a little bit.  Then, after doing some things around the house, we all got around and got dressed and headed out the door.  We surprised the kids with a trip to our local zoo, the Columbian Park Zoo.  It was VERY busy, but so fun.  We saw lots of animals, like wallabies, monkeys, tortoises, bald eagles (only appropriate on this Memorial Day).  We also saw a very pretty llama that made my heart hurt for it.  Someone really needed to clean the shavings out of the poor animal.  He (she?) was so soft though and had such kind eyes.  I have a soft spot for llamas since people make yarn out of their fleeces.  I actually asked the zoo employee what they do with the fleece when they shear the llama (yes, I am a nerd, but come on you knew that already!).  For the record, the shearer takes it.  The kids really liked the butterflies and the goats the best I think.  The girls enjoyed looking for prairie dogs in their tunnels, but we didn't see any today.  Maybe next time.  Here are some pics of the kiddos at the zoo:





After the zoo, we watched the Memorial Day Parade.  L asked why they were having a parade.  We explained to her the reason we celebrate Memorial Day.  We told her it is to thank those that have served in any of our armed forces, our police, and the fire department, or anyone who works and serves to keep us and our country safe.  She has been asking questions about death (I think this has something to do with the funerals I have been singing at), so we had to explain to her that we particularly want to give thanks for those that have died while serving our country.  She said she understood and we watched the parade.  Afterwards, we were driving past a cemetery and there were a lot of American flags posted at the graves.  She asked, "Is that why we celebrate Memorial Day?".  Yes L, yes it is.  She is so smart.

Then we went to McDonald's for lunch.  We even went inside.  This is an exciting thing for my kids because we RARELY go inside when we get McD's.  If I am by myself, it is just too difficult for me to handle all three of them.  I would rather go through the drive-through and bring it home.  Anyway, we had lunch and then treated the kids to ice cream cones.  The evidence is below!



We decided to make a list of things we want to do as a family this summer.  Then we will see how many of them we can get done before Labor Day.  Our list is already pretty long.  But, we are open for any ideas you have!

Everyone but mom is napping now, but after the Diet Coke from McD's, I'm a little wired.  I am going to knit a little while watching the Cubbies play Houston.  Trying to come up with more things to do with the kids when they wake up.  What a great day it has been!  I hope that your day has been wonderful too.

Before I go though, I want to post a big, huge, gigantic THANK YOU to all of our service men and women; past, present, and future.  I know that our freedom isn't free, and I appreciate so much the price you are willing to pay to keep us all safe.  May the Lord be with all of you.  Thank you.

With Love!

No comments: